History Podcasts

Trefoil ScStr - History

Trefoil ScStr - History



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Trefoil

(ScStr: t. 370; 1. 146i7"; b. 23'9"; dr. 11'2"; cpl. 44;
a. 1 30-pdr. P.r., 1 12-pdr. how.)

Trefoil—a wooden-hulled screw steamer built in 1864 by clipper ship designer Donald McKay—was purchased by the Navy on 4 February 1865 and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass., on 1 March 1865, Acting Master Charles C. Wells in command.

Tref oil proceeded south to the Gulf of Mexico and arrived at Mobile Bay on 24 March. She served in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron under Rear Admiral Henry Knox Thatcher through the end of the Civil War operating mainly as a dispatch boat between Pensacola and Mobile.

In July 1865, she returned north to the Boston Navy Yard where she was decommissioned on 30 August 1865. Placed in ordinary in 1866, the steamer was sold at auction on 28 May 1867 to a Mr. L. Litchfield.


History

Trefoil’s origins lie in an initiative by a group of Girl Guides in St Abbs at the outbreak of World War II to help a group of “special evacuees” from Edinburgh. These were in the language of the times “physically handicapped” children for whom no provision had been made. The volunteers initially provided a home at Northfield House, St Abbs Head, and care for about 20 children aged 6-16.

Soon afterwards the “Trefoil School”, as it became known, moved to Cowdenknowes in the Scottish Borders. Very few of the children were accustomed to the classroom as their experience of school was limited, as was the case with the volunteer teachers. The ethos was to provide as normal a life as possible. Practical skills were taught as part of the syllabus as way of developing those children with learning difficulties and encouraging a sense of achievement, an aim that Trefoil supports to this day. Following inspection by the Scottish Education Department the first fully accredited teacher was appointed.

By 1944 most of the evacuees had left, but the value of Trefoil as a school and its mission had been clearly established, with a reach far beyond Edinburgh. The name “Trefoil School” was adopted in recognition of the initial contribution by the Guides and their continued support. The School motto of “Undaunted” was agreed along with the Trefoil Guide Badge logo.

A short-term lease was taken on Polkemmet House, Whitburn in 1945, and new premises offering a more permanent solution were identified in 1948. A two-year fundraising effort enabled the charity to purchase Kirklands House, its 22 acre grounds and related properties, at Gogarburn to the west of Edinburgh, into which the School moved in 1951. This gave pupils space to roam and let off steam. A field was also rented to the Guides for camping.

The work of Trefoil School continued to develop and its approach to the “all round” development of children with “special needs” was an example to many of best practice, and was of interest in other countries. Trefoil built up a loyal group of volunteers and supporters within Edinburgh initially and then throughout Scotland.


Symbols of the movement

Many of the symbols of WAGGGS and the Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting Movement were introduced by Lord Robert Baden-Powell and have been updated throughout the years to ensure our relevance in today's world.

World Trefoil

The Trefoil, used on the World Badge, is the unifying symbol of WAGGGS with every part of the design having its meaning. The golden Trefoil on a bright blue background, for example, represents the sun shining over all the children of the world the three leaves represent the three-fold Promise as originally laid down by the Founder the base of the stalk represents the flame of the love of humanity the vein pointing upwards through the centre of the Trefoil is the compass needle pointing the way and the two stars represent the Promise and Law.

World Badge

The World Badge, which incorporates the Trefoil, was first adopted at the 11th World Conference in Evian, France, in 1946 and features the gold World Trefoil on a blue background.

World Association Badge

The World Association Badge was first adopted at the 7th World Conference in Bucze, Poland, in 1932. It is similar in design to the World Badge, and is worn by members of the World Board, its Committees, World Bureau staff, Guiders-in-Charge at the World Centres, Honorary Associates, and others, who carry out special duties for the World Association.

World Flag

The golden Trefoil remains the focal point on a blue background. A white blaze in the lower, right-hand corner represents WAGGGS' commitment to peace. This is crowned by three golden blocks symbolising the three-fold Promise. It is used at the World Centres, the World Bureau, WAGGGS' gatherings and by all Member Organisations, often as a unit flag.

The Motto

The Motto, ➾ Prepared', shares the Founder's initials and is a practical reminder of the educational purposes of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting.

Good Turn

The Good Turn symbolises the service given by all members of the Movement to the community. Younger girls think of ways they can do a good turn every day, while older girls develop this further into service projects at local, national and international levels.

The Left Handshake

The Founder suggested a Left Handshake to recognise other members of the Movement, and it is still used widely. When asked to explain the origin, Lord Baden-Powell related a legend told to him in West Africa: two hostile, neighbouring communities decided to try to live together in peace, and so they flung down their shields, which were carried on the left arm, and advanced, unprotected, to greet each other with their left hands extended in trust and friendship.

The Salute

To make the sign, raise three fingers of the right hand, with the thumb holding the little finger down. The three fingers represent the three parts of the Girl Guide and Girl Scout promise and echo the core values of integrity, citizenship and spirituality. In some countries the sign is held at shoulder height, in others it is held to the forehead as a salute.

The World Song

The World Song was adopted at the 13th World Conference in Oxford, UK, 1950. The music was adapted with the approval of the Finnish composer, Jean Sibelius, from his March, Opus 91b. It was originally composed as the march for one of Finland's oldest Scout companies. First published with English words by Gavin Ewart in 1952, the World Song highlights the principles and spirit of the Movement.

Our way is clear as we march on,
And see! Our flag on high,
Is never furled throughout the world,
For hope shall never die!
We must unite for what is right,
In friendship true and strong,
Until the earth,
In its rebirth,
Shall sing our song!
Shall sing our song!

All those who loved the true and good,
Whose promises were kept,
With humble mind, whose acts were kind,
whose honour never slept
These were the free!
And we must be,
Prepared like them to live,
To give to all,
Both great and small,
All we can give


Derived variations

Trefoil knot can be easely transformed into Möbius strip as you can see on the photo of sculpture by Carlo H. Séequin.


Double trefoil knot by Carlo H. Séequin

The smooth shape of the trefoil knot can be transormed into the figure with straight lines and formed into impossible figure like Penrose tribar.


File:Cultural History (historisk) Museum Oslo. VIKINGR Norwegian Viking-Age Exhibition 06 Scandinavian triangular trefoil brooches AD 900-1050, worn on women's clothing, animal etc ornamentation, after Frankish 9th c. sword-belt 56.jpg

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current23:00, 13 March 20205,472 × 3,500 (2.99 MB) Wolfmann (talk | contribs) Uploaded own work with UploadWizard

You cannot overwrite this file.


Trefoil ScStr - History

Harvard, a college founded at Cambridge, Mass., in 1636, was named for John Harvard, a general benefactor. Opened in 1638, Harvard University now includes a large group of graduate and professional schools as well as the college and is one of the world's leading educational institutions.

( ScStr: dp. 10,499 1. 585' b. 63'3" dr. 29' - cpl. 407 a. 8 5" 8 6-pars.): s. 20 k.)

The first Harvard., a schooner-rigged steamship was built in 1888 as City of New York by J. & G. Thompson, Clydebank, Scotland, for the Inman Line. Sister ship of City of Paris, City of New York was one of the largest and best liners of her day, and one of the first steamships with twin screws. She was transferred to American registry under the American Line in 1893 as New York. These ships brought the United States to the front rank in the Atlantic passenger trade, and New York established the record for the Southampton to New York crossing in September 1893. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, New York was chartered as an auxiliary cruiser with a civilian crew, commissioning 26 April 1898 at New York, Captain C. S. Cotton in command and renamed Harvard.

Assigned as a scout, Harvard departed New York 30 April to cruise West Indian waters in search of the Spanish fleet. After sending back several reports on the location of Spanish units in the Caribbean, Harvard was blockaded by a larger force at St. Pierre, Martinique 11-L7 May, after which she proceeded to Santiago de Cuba and St. Nicholas Mole, Haiti, with dispatches from Commodore Schley. Interrupting her scouting duties, Harvard returned to Newport News, Virginia, 7-26 June during which time her crew was officially taken into the Naval Service.

Harvard returned to the Caribbean with troops and supplies, arriving at Altares, Cuba, about 1 July. The morning of 3 July she received the electrifying news that the Spanish fleet had sortied. After Rear Admiral Sampson's smashing victory off Santiago, she rescued survivors. Despite the high surf and ammunition explosions from the stricken Spanish ships, Harvard succeeded in recovering over 600 officers and men.

No longer needed as a scout in the Caribbean, Harvard was sent back to the United States 10 July 1898. She was temporarily turned over to the War Department, and returned to Santiago to Cuba to transport troops back to the United States. Harvard arrived at New York 27 August and decommissioned 2 September 1898 at New York Navy Yard.

Reverting to her old name, New York, the ship resumed transatlantic service with the American Line until World War I. During this period she underwent extensive conversion in 1903, when one of her three funnels was removed. Again needed in support of American forces abroad, New York was chartered by the Navy 9 May 1918 for use as a troop transport. She commissioned as Plattsburg 24 May 1918, Commander C. C. Bloch commanding.

Plattsburg made four voyages from New York to Liverpool transporting the AEF to Europe, and after the end of the war made a total of seven voyages, bringing home over 24,000 veterans. She returned to New York after her final crossing 29 August 1919, and was returned to her owners 6 October 1919.

As New York the ship once again plied the Atlantic with passengers, but she was no longer a first-class liner and was withdrawn from service in 1920. Sold to the Polish Navigation Co., she made two more voyages, but the company was soon forced to close down and she was scrapped in 1923.


Update 11.9.20

Clarity in light of announcements and
confirmation of outdoor-only meetings

Trefoil continues to follow Government advice and compliance to our Insurance provider. Our Insurance is organised and paid through Girlguiding and we have therefore been working alongside them towards being able to meet both outdoors and indoors.

The Government advice across the UK is now for all of us to abide by &ldquoThe Rule Of Six&rdquo as it has become known. There are slight variations from each of the four countries as to how this is defined, but the maximum number that can meet for Trefoil is the same for all (6). The exception to this, of course, is where there is a local lockdown/partial lockdown/further restrictions.

Trefoil members can still only meet outdoors at present, and members must comply with the requirements listed in the previous update, including undertaking a risk assessment.

Those of you who are members of Girlguiding will have received an email about their return to unit meetings. Please note that these are in line with the National Youth Agency guidelines and are for girls and their leaders.

As we are an adult only organisation these NYA guidelines do not apply to our members meeting up.

The safety and wellbeing of our members is paramount.


Please stay safe and we look forward to being able to update the guidance when that is possible.


Girl Scout Cookie History

For more than 100 years, Girl Scouts and their enthusiastic supporters have helped ensure the success of the iconic annual cookie sale—and they’ve had fun, developed valuable life skills, and made their communities a better place every step of the way.

Girl Scout Cookies had their earliest beginnings in the kitchens and ovens of our girl members, with moms volunteering as technical advisers. The sale of cookies as a way to finance troop activities began as early as 1917, five years after Juliette Gordon Low started Girl Scouts in the United States, when the Mistletoe Troop in Muskogee, Oklahoma, baked cookies and sold them in its high school cafeteria as a service project.

In July 1922, The American Girl magazine, published by Girl Scouts of the USA, featured an article by Florence E. Neil, a local director in Chicago, Illinois. Miss Neil provided a cookie recipe that had been given to the council's 2,000 Girl Scouts. She estimated the approximate cost of ingredients for six- to seven-dozen cookies to be 26 to 36 cents. The cookies, she suggested, could be sold by troops for 25 or 30 cents per dozen.

Throughout the decade, Girl Scouts in different parts of the country continued to bake their own simple sugar cookies with their mothers and with help from the community. These cookies were packaged in wax paper bags, sealed with a sticker, and sold door to door for 25 to 35 cents per dozen.

Check out the Original Girl Scout Cookie Recipe from 1922!

  • 1 cup of butter, or substitute
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder

Cream butter and sugar add well-beaten eggs, then milk, flavoring, flour, and baking powder. Roll thin and bake in quick oven. (Sprinkle sugar on top.)

This amount makes six to seven dozen.

Modern-day tips (not part of the original recipe): Refrigerate batter for at least one hour before rolling and cutting cookies. Bake in a quick oven (375°) for approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

In 1933, Girl Scouts of Greater Philadelphia Council baked cookies and sold them in the city's gas and electric company windows. The price was just 23 cents per box of 44 cookies, or six boxes for $1.24! Girls developed their marketing and business skills and raised funds for their local Girl Scout council. A year later, Greater Philadelphia took cookie sales to the next level, becoming the first council to sell commercially baked cookies.

In 1935, the Girl Scout Federation of Greater New York raised money through the sale of commercially baked cookies. Buying its own die in the shape of a trefoil, the group used the words “Girl Scout Cookies” on the box. In 1936, the national Girl Scout organization began the process of licensing the first commercial bakers to produce cookies that would be sold nationwide by girls in Girl Scout councils.

Enthusiasm for Girl Scout Cookies spread nationwide. By 1937, more than 125 Girl Scout councils reported holding cookie sales.

Girl Scout Cookies were sold by local councils around the country until World War II, when sugar, flour, and butter shortages led Girl Scouts to pivot, selling the first Girl Scout calendars in 1944 as an alternative to raise money for activities.

After the war, cookie sales increased, and by 1948, a total of 29 bakers were licensed to bake Girl Scout Cookies.

In 1951, Girl Scout Cookies came in three varieties: Sandwich, Shortbread, and Chocolate Mints (now known as Thin Mints). With the advent of the suburbs, girls at tables in shopping malls began selling Girl Scout Cookies.

Five years later, flavors had evolved. Girl Scouts sold four basic types of cookies: a vanilla-based filled cookie, a chocolate-based filled one, shortbread, and a chocolate mint. Some bakers also offered another optional flavor.

During the 1960s, when Baby Boomers expanded Girl Scout membership, cookie sales increased significantly. Fourteen licensed bakers were mixing batter for thousands upon thousands of Girl Scout Cookies annually. And those bakers began wrapping Girl Scout Cookie boxes in printed aluminum foil or cellophane to protect the cookies and preserve their freshness.

By 1966, a number of varieties were available. Among the best sellers were Chocolate Mint (now known as Thin Mints), Shortbread, and Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies.

In 1978, the number of bakers was streamlined to four to ensure lower prices and uniform quality, packaging, and distribution. For the first time in history, all cookie boxes—regardless of the baker—featured the same designs and depicted scenes of Girl Scouts in action, including hiking and canoeing. And in 1979, the brand-new, Saul Bass–created Girl Scout logo appeared on cookie boxes, which became even more creative and began promoting the benefits of Girl Scouting.

Girl Scout Cookies for sale during the 1970s included Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos ® , and Shortbread/Trefoils ® cookies, plus four additional choices.

In 1982, four bakers still produced a maximum of seven varieties of cookies—three mandatory (Thin Mint ® , Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos ® , and Shortbread/Trefoils ® ) and four optional. Cookie boxes depicted scenes of Girl Scouts in action.

In the early 1990s, two licensed bakers supplied local Girl Scout councils with cookies for girls to sell, and by 1998, this number had grown again to three. Eight cookie varieties were available, including low-fat and sugar-free selections.

GSUSA also introduced official age-appropriate awards for Girl Scout Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes, and Seniors, including the Cookie Activity pin, which was awarded for participating in the cookie sale.

Early in the twenty-first century, every Girl Scout Cookie had a mission. New cookie box designs, introduced in fall of 2000, were bold and bright, capturing the spirit of Girl Scouting. Two licensed bakers produced a maximum of eight varieties, including three that were mandatory (Thin Mints ® , Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos ® , and Shortbread/Trefoils ® ). All cookies were kosher. And, much to the excitement of our youngest Girl Scouts, Daisies started selling cookies!

With the announcement of National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend (the next one is February 28–March 1, 2020) and the introduction of our very first gluten-free Girl Scout Cookie, the decade was off to a big start. But the really big news was the launch of the Digital Cookie® platform in 2014. A fun, safe, and interactive space for girls to sell cookies, Digital Cookie takes the iconic cookie program digital and introduces Girl Scouts to vital 21st century lessons about online marketing, app usage, and ecommerce. But most importantly, Digital Cookie retains the one-to-one personal approach to selling that is essential to the success of the program and the girls who participate.

Who can forget the amazing moment in 2016 when Girl Scouts took the stage at the Academy Awards to sell cookies to Hollywood’s A-list? It was a stellar beginning to the nationwide celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts selling cookies. That continued with the introduction of Girl Scout S’mores TM , which quickly became the most popular new cookies to launch in our history. And in 2020, our already iconic cookies reached a new level of awesome with incredible, brand-new packaging that puts goal-crushing Girl Scout Cookie entrepreneurs front and center and also showcases all of the amazing things girls learn and do through the Girl Scout Cookie Program and as Girl Scouts. Also new for 2020 is our Cookie Entrepreneur Family pin collection that makes selling Girl Scout Cookies a family affair!


Of mankind.

The current investment environment has been distorted by a decade of central bank stimulus and a parabolic growth in passive and systematic strategies.

In response to the generational shift in the investment landscape, Trefoil specialises in providing access to proven absolute return (including Rangemaster and Stylus Funds), targeted Thematic Investments (for example – aquaculture and education), Advised equity portfoilios (best ideas and special situations) and broader Wealth Advisory and Family Office Services.

TREFOIL MANAGEMENT

Trefoil’s team includes experienced names in the hedge fund and investment industries.


History

1909
Girls appeared at the first Boy Scout Rally at the Crystal Palace, demanding to be allowed to join the movement.

1910
The Girl Guides Association was formed.

1920
Ex-Guides began to form unofficial groups with the purpose of maintaining contact with their old Guide companies.

1935
An organisation named 'Old Guides' was formed.

1943
The Girl Guides Association amalgamated the various groups of &lsquoOld Guides&rsquo and the name &lsquoTrefoil Guild&rsquo was adopted.

1947
Trefoil Guilds were first registered.

1952
The Trefoil Guild, while remaining part of the guiding movement, was given recognition as a self-governing, self-financing body and became responsible for former Guides in the United Kingdom and overseas territories.

1954
The first constitution was ratified and a President appointed. The central office was established and a governing body, consisting of a Central Council and a Central Executive Committee, was formed. The Girl Guides Association gave the Trefoil Guild an initial grant of £1,500, and it became financially independent.

1970
The Trefoil Guild launched a Holiday Fund for Guiders and Guild members in need of rest and recuperation. Information about Special Funds can be found here.

1971
The minimum age for membership of the Trefoil Guild was lowered to 18 from 21.

The Trefoil Guild brought its administration into line with that of The Girl Guides Association. Country/Region Advisers, later known as Chairmen were appointed.

1973
LINK International Fellowship, devised by the Trefoil Guild, was established to enable young adults to remain in contact with the Guide and Scout movements.

1982
LINK approached the Trefoil Guild about the future of LINK members, male and female, who reached the LINK upper age limit of 30. The possibility of absorbing these young adults into the Trefoil Guild was discussed.

1984
A resolution was passed to admit men into The Trefoil Guild.

1986
A training scheme was introduced to help Trefoil Guild members with planning and administration.

1988
The Trefoil Guild raised over £51,000 towards the appeal for Pax Lodge study bedrooms.

1989
The title 'President of the Trefoil Guild' was changed to 'Chairman of the Trefoil Guild'. A new office of President was created, the first holder being the Honourable Betty Clay, daughter of Lord and Lady Baden-Powell.

1993
The Trefoil Guild celebrated its Golden Jubilee.

The Guide Promise was revised, and a new logo and design for the Promise Badge, now shared by all members of The Guide Association and the Trefoil Guild, was introduced.

1994
Lady Juliet Townsend succeeded Betty Clay as President.

1995
The Guide Law was revised and The Girl Guides Association was renamed The Guide Association.

2000
A new handbook, entitled Welcome to the Trefoil Guild was produced.

2004
On the death of Betty Clay, Lady Juliet Townsend became Patron of the Trefoil Guild and Jane Garside became President.

2005
A range of Trefoil Guild occasional wear was produced for sale through Girlguiding UK Trading Service

The Trefoil magazine changed to three full colour editions a year with a new designer and printer.

2007
The Trefoil Guild became a corporate member of Girlguiding UK.

2008
Welcome to the Trefoil Guild was updated and renamed Trefoil Guild Handbook.

2009
The National Internet Guild was launched.

Brenda Parke became President.

The Constitution of the Trefoil Guild was revised.

Gillian Ellis resigned as Editor of The Trefoil magazine.

2010
Girlguiding UK marked 100 years of guiding with Trefoil Guild members sharing a large part in the celebrations.

The Trefoil Guild Handbook was revised.

The design and publication of The Trefoil was moved to Girlguiding UK.

2011
Trefoil Guild withdrew membership from the International Scout and Guide Fellowship.

2012
Associate Membership of the Trefoil Guild was discontinued.

2013
The Constitution of the Trefoil Guild was revised.

Trefoil Guild celebrated their 70th anniversary.

The Voyage Award was launched.

2014
The Trefoil Guild Handbook was updated.

Girlguiding UK marked 100 years of Brownies with Trefoil Guild members enjoying the celebrations.

2015
Liz Burnley was appointed as President of Trefoil Guild.

TOPAZ (Trefoil Overseas Project - Adventure with Zest) project was launched.

2016
First TOPAZ team completed a project with the Russian Association of Girl Guides (RADS).

Introduction of the Thanks and Recognition Badge and Certificate pack.

Newhall Publishing took over production of The Trefoil magazine.

2017
Subscriptions became available to pay online.

Change in Constitution and removal of role of Council member.

Executive Board renamed Board of Trustees.

2018
Trefoil Guild celebrated 75 years with a special Annual Meeting event in Birmingham.

Riding for the Disable Association (RDA) named as charity to be supported during 75th birthday year.

Various activities undertaken to celebrate 75 years of Trefoil Guild including a cruise on the Danube, a 75k Walk and the creation of a Trefoil Guild Rose.

Trefoil Guild Handbook revised and available as an online resource.

2019
STARS challenge introduced in March.

Sponsoring of the RDA Countryside Challenge commenced for the next three years.

Naming the outdoor arena at the RDA National HQ and training centre as &lsquoThe Trefoil Guild Arena&rsquo.

Cheque presented to the RDA at our Annual Meeting in Southport for £113,875.86

Eileen Martin appointed as National Chairman in June.

Four Trustee members and the Trefoil Guild office manager were presented to HRH Princess Anne in recognition of Trefoil support to the RDA.

The Trefoil International Opportunities weekend (TRIO) took place identifying the 2020 TOPAZ team to Lesotho.

The Trefoil gathering which is held every 4years, took place in October.

2020
2020 has been one of the most challenging years which Trefoil Guild has had to face. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic all our meetings both locally and nationally had to be cancelled, even the Annual Meeting

Trefoil members, however, did not let the situation phase them. Members learnt new skills in social media virtual Zoom, Skype and Teams meetings and members have stayed in touch and kept each others&rsquo spirits up and supported each other .

For those without access to technical equipment, newsletters, leaflets and The Trefoil magazine have kept the spirit of Trefoil Guild burning bright .