History Podcasts

Tillamook I - History

Tillamook I  - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tillamook I

(Tug No. 16: dp. 415; 1. 122'6"; b. 24'0"; dr. 12'10"
(mean); s. 10.55 k.; cpl. 20; a. 2 3-pars.)

The first Tillamook (Tug No. 16) was laid down on 6 January 1914 at Seattle, Wash., by the Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Co., launched on 15 August 1914 and placed in service soon thereafter.

The tug steamed south to San Francisco and reported to the Commandant, 12th Naval District, for duty at the Mare Island Navy Yard. Tillamook served her entire 33-year Navy career towing and assisting ships at Mare Island. During her service, the tug changed designations three times. On 17 July 1920, when the Navy adopted the system of alpha numeric hull designations, she became AT-16. Almost 16 years later, on 31 January 1936, a number of old tugs previously classified as ocean tugs were reclassified as yard craft, and Tillamook became YT-122. She received her final classification—as a medium harbor tug, YTM-122— on 13 April 1944. Following that, she served three more years at Mare Island before she was placed out of service and turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 28 April 1947.


Dairyland Tillamook City | Oregon Coast

When the name of Tillamook is mentioned, what comes to your mind? Chances are that at least the second (or maybe even the first) thing would be your dairy of choice. Yogurt, cheese, ice-cream… you name it. Tillamook the Dairylands, as it is called, is home to Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA), which celebrated its 100-year jubilee in 2009.

Located in the northern part of the Oregon Coast 74 miles west of Portland, the Tillamook City is the center of the namesake county, its largest city, business and administrative center, housing Tillamook County government, main Post Office, the main branch of the Tillamook County Library, Tillamook County General Hospital, and Tillamook Bay Community College.

There is no consensus regarding the origins of the name “Tillamook”. According to one opinion, it is derived from the Indian “the many peoples of the Nehelim”, according to the other opinion “Tillamook” means “Land of Many Waters”. Such a discrepancy may be attributed to the misspelling in the older texts. At that, there is no doubt, that the latter interpretation (“Land of Many Waters”) fits the place well, considering the five rivers (Tillamook, Trask, Wilson, Kilchis, and the Miami), five bays and the Pacific Ocean nearby.

Brief History

Before the first settlers arrived, the area was occupied by the Tillamook Indians, the most southern branch of the Coast Salish. They were geographically separated from their northern relatives by tribes of Chinookan peoples who occupied the territory between them. Both culture and language of the southern Salish differed considerably from that of their northern peers, probably due to the influence of the north Californian tribes.

The beginning of the known Tillamook story dates back to August 1788, when Captain Robert Gray and his sloop “Lady Washington” anchored in Tillamook Bay. That also happened to be the first landing on the Oregon Coast. The first settlers, however, did not arrive until 1851, when Joseph Champion made his home in a hollow tree, which he proudly called his “castle.” People kept on coming – first individual settlers, then whole families. The population grew and formally became Tillamook County on December 15th, 1853.

The climate and the nature with its water sources and green grass, so beloved by the cows, was ideal for dairy farming. The transportation situation, however, was far from ideal. For those purposes, the community built the Morning Star ship in 1854 to make sure that the dairy products reach the market. The Morning Star is now the TCCA logo, seen on all its dairy products.

In 1861, Thomas Stillwell purchased land and opened the first store there. A town started growing around it – the town which would soon become the city of Tillamook. In 1866, the first post office was opened, and the town permanently acquired its current name. In 1873, Tillamook became the county seat, with the first public building, a jail, constructed the same year.

Tillamook was incorporate as a city in 1891. A few years later the first County Courthouse and City Hall were constructed.

Today’s City Hall occupies the building of the former Tillamook Post Office listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Climate
Climate-wise, the Tillamook City is squeezed between the Mediterranean and the oceanic climates. The proximity of the ocean brings temperature fluctuations throughout the year to the minimum. Snow is rare, but floods are in abundance. Summers here are usually short and mild, with the driest seasons falling in July and August.

Economy
Tillamook the Dairylands has had dairy farms as the main source of the region’s prosperity for many years, with the Tillamook Cheese Factory being one of the main touristic destinations for over 1 million visitors every year.

The lumber industry was prominent in the past, and according to some experts is ready to stage a comeback in the coming years. The proximity of the ocean beaches makes tourism one of the contributors of the local economy, as many of those, who prefer extended Pacific coast vacations, often have their second residence in Tillamook.

There is no doubt, that the Tillamook City is in the middle of a renaissance period, with the major revitalizing project undertaken by the Tillamook Urban Renewal Agency. It involves renovation of the downtown, refurbishing of old buildings and construction of new ones. The significant contribution comes from the local businesses and citizens, who helped build a new branch of the County Library and a new campus for Tillamook Bay Community College. Tillamook businesses are also investing heavily in the city renovation in general.

Things to Do & See

Tillamook Cheese Factory

If you happen to pass by and have time for only one Tillamook attraction – this is the one!

Located at US 101 North, Tillamook Cheese Factory if the original cheese production facility of the Creamery Association. The facility has a Visitor’s Center, where one can learn about dairy processing. Theory will be paired with a live observation of an actual production floor through the viewing window (tours to the production floor were however discontinued for health and sanitary reasons).

The tours are free and self-guided.

And of course, all that goodness (cheese, ice-cream, etc.) can be sampled. The Creamery Café offers breakfast and lunch, accompanied by famous Tillamook desserts, such as Tillamook Fudge or extra creamy ice cream.

175 Highway 101 North, Tillamook, OR 97141
503-815-1300

Tillamook County Pioneer Museum

The museum building is a landmark in its own right. It was once the Tillamook County Courthouse. Now it has a different role – collecting, preserving and displaying the history of the area in over 35,000 items and 10,000 photographs.

With two libraries dedicated to the County history, Tillamook County Pioneer Museum is the place for those interested in the history of Tillamook and its surroundings.

2106 Second St, Tillamook, OR 97141
www.tcpm.org
(503) 842-4553

Latimer Quilt & Textile Center

The Center defines its mission as to “preserve, promote, display and facilitate the creation of and provide education about the textile arts.” An abandoned schoolhouse in the past, the now restored building houses a variety of displays of both antique and present-day quilts, as well as clothing pieces and textile tools.

Additionally, the Center holds demonstrations in weaving, spinning, and other textile arts houses an extensive research library, and has a gift shop, where visitors can purchase hand-made items, books, and fabrics.

2105 Wilson River Loop Rd., Tillamook, OR 97141
(503) 842-8622

Tillamook Air Museum

The Tillamook Air Museum is located just south of the city, in the Port of Tillamook Bay. Those interested in the history of aviation will find an Exhibit Hall with rare wartime and aviation-related artifacts, in addition to over 15 aircraft. The building of the museum was once a part of Naval Air Station Tillamook.


Tillamook Coast History

Have you learned about the treasure allegedly buried on Neahkahnie Mountain? Or have you heard the story of the first pilgrim who built his house inside a tree stump? What about the town built along Bayocean Spit that fell into the ocean? You’ll learn about these stories and many more during a trip to the Tillamook County Pioneer Museum.

After you stop by the Museum, go out and see the living history yourself. Textile arts are not only preserved, but created on a daily basis at the Latimer Quilt & Textile Center. Gaze out at the same bay Captain Robert Gray sailed from the door of the Garibaldi Museum. Imagine soaring about the coast onboard a World War II blimp at the Tillamook Air Museum. Get your copy of 25 Cultural Adventures on the Tillamook Coast.

Tillamook Quilt Trail

Quilts have been part of Tillamook County since the early pioneers arrived. As you drive the country and coastal roads of the Tillamook Coast, look for large, colorful wooden quilt blocks on barns and buildings – there are 104 of them! Pick up a Quilt Trail map at the visitor center!

Garibaldi Maritime Museum

Located in the fishing village of Garibaldi, this museum is a treasure of local maritime history, told through the adventures of Captain Robert Gray and his sailing ship, the Columbia Rediviva, which sailed to the Pacific Northwest in search of the Columbia River.

Latimer Quilt & Textile Center

Call ahead to schedule a bed turning. You’ll be treated to a short history of each of 10 to 12 quilts and discover how long it took the creator to craft all the intricate stitches. Latimer is a working museum, where friends teach others the art of textiles.

Tillamook Forest Center

The Tillamook Forest Center is a shining jewel on the Tillamook Coast. An engaging interpretive center tells the story of the historic Tillamook Burn and reforestation. Don’t miss the powerful film, Legacy of Fire, shown in the center’s surround-sound theater.

Firehouse Museum

The Tillamook Firehouse Museum, in memory of Assistant Fire Chief Michael Ellerbrook, houses memorabilia that features the history of the Tillamook Fire Department. Located at E&E Auto Center in Tillamook, admission is free of charge and open Monday-Friday.

Tillamook County Pioneer Museum

In downtown Tillamook, three floors showcase Native American artifacts, a 1911 stage coach, the natural history of local animals and birds, logging displays and much more. The 35,000 plus objects on display all point to the area’s rich cultural history.

Tillamook Air Museum

Housed in the largest, freestanding wooden structure in North America, this former blimp hangar now showcases a collection of vintage aircraft, WWII memorabilia, first hand documentations, uniforms and amazing photography.

International Police Museum

The International Police Museum in Rockaway Beach helps tell the real story of police officers.

The museum has many displays with historic and modern items from around the world including uniforms, restraints, badges, weapons and other tools. Admission is free.


Hangar A and Hangar B

From 1949 to 1984 three Lumber companies used the hangars for operations and storage. For a short time between 1984 and 1992, Hangar A was used to build small aircraft. By 1992, Hangar A was used only for storage, most bales of straw.

In August of that year, the straw ignited, and Hangar A went up in flames. It was the largest fire ever seen in Tillamook County. Firefighters fought to save the historic building, but their efforts for futile. They soon focused their energy on keeping the fire from spreading to Hangar B.

Today, Hangar B still stands proud and in great shape as Tillamook Air Museum. While the only thing that remains of Hangar A is four pillars.


Tillamook I - History

Strange History of Three Oregon Coast Landmarks - Tillamook Bay

Published July 2008
By Andre' Hagestedt and Tobi Nason


(Tillamook, Oregon) - A ghost of a ghost town. A giant letter "G" sitting on a hillside. And even a sizably smaller "B" on the side of a nearby hill.

They're all part of Tillamook County history, with some surprising realities lurking behind the legends. And yet, there are still numerous mysteries in there.

They all take place around the Tillamook Bay, with the freaky facts behind the briefly thriving resort of Bayocean, along the Tillamook Spit, and the big letters sitting above Garibaldi and tiny Barview.

The Letters of Garibaldi and Barview

Garibaldi's big G

As one approaches Garibaldi from the south on the inland curve from Tillamook, the Big G shines brightly up on the mountainside. It appears sort of regal, as if one were entering a duchy or vast estate of some sort. Garibaldi, a small coastal fishing town, rife with marinas and RV parks, is not a vast estate. One wonders what the G "stands" for, if anything other than Garibaldi.

The, just around the bend, in Barview, you may spot a big "B" painted into a concrete chunk on the side of the hill - sort of the little brother of Garibaldi's G, and its less affluent relative as well.

Facts are one thing - folklore another. The facts of the Big G are getting lost in the mix of hearsay and half-truths. Dig a little deeper, and you&rsquoll find many don&rsquot know much of anything about it. Some thought the fire department maintained it. One person thought it had some nautical function.

Facts: It originated in 1930 by Garibaldi's junior high school class. They had passed through Amity on a school trip, saw the mountainside "A" and debated the idea of a "G" for their little town. The site itself is a 45-minute walking distance from what was then Gaibaldi High School, now Garibaldi Grade School. Off to a rocky start, since enthusiasm for a big G waxed and waned, the idea got pushed by Roy Albers and by-laws were drawn up by the student body. Local merchants donated supplies, and a man named Otto Schrader, plant manager for Hammond-Tillamook Lumbar Company, supplied the construction plan. More details of the actual first construction can be found at the City Hall in Garibaldi.

The first G burned down. The second G lasted 40 years, until deterioration set in and a new one was built by the fire department, made of metal.

To get an update on the Big G," Carolee North is the one to speak with. She is designated president of "The Friends of Big G." She helped organize the loosely organized group. In 1999, she and a group of concerned citizens started a program to raise funds for the maintenance of the G, which in this case meant replacing all the light fixtures and bulbs with new fixtures made of unbreakable plastic. Fundraising involved citizens "buying a light." They received more donations than necessary at the time. The money was put into an account for future maintenance.

Carolee says that that the Big G is "very loved. It is an important source of pride and ownership to the people of this area." She says the Coast Guard pilots use it as a landmark. The Fire Department and Coast Guard help maintain the grounds, as do the Boy Scouts. The color of the lights are also changed for different effect. Red, white and blue reigned after September 12, 2001 (the day after the 9-11 attacks) and stayed until the following 4th of July.

The "B" of Barview, barely visible on the patch of concrete in the hill - apparently the low budget brother of Garibaldi's "G"

By comparison, the Big B (for Barview) has no history, no story, no friends. The B resides on the eastside hill of 101, although it has faded quite a bit in recent years. It can't be seen from Hwy. 101. The best view - and only view - is from Barview Jetty County Park. Drive out to the parking lot, turn around and head back to Hwy. 101. Halfway between parking lot and railroad tracks, look east, up to the hillside. That's right, there's the B.

The most "history" available seems to be that it is a fairly recent development. Darlene Johnson of the local Barview Store says sometime between 1997 and 1999, it "suddenly appeared." It looks to be white paint on a rock face. Other than that, as Darlene Johnson says, "No one knows." Larry of Tillamook County Park Services used to tell his kids that the B stands for Barview Bigfoot. He doesn't know either, but Bigfoot could easily become folklore in no time.


The Ghost Town That is No More

(Above: Bayocean today). What you now see as the Tillamook Spit - miles of what seems like unending dunes and hiking possibilities - was for a brief period a thriving resort town that hosted thousands of people in the summertime. But after only 15 years of existence, the place gradually fell into greater and greater disrepair, eventually becoming a ghost town.

Now, more than 100 years later, nothing tangible remains of this place. It is the ghost of a ghost town, completely reclaimed by nature.

It all began around 1906, when a Kansas developer named Potter bought the land with his son. They set about building this grandiose resort, which included two hotels, a drug store, grocery store, a &ldquobungalow city&rdquo and a &ldquotent city,&rdquo as well as tennis courts, a natatorium that housed a movie theater, a tin shop, bowling alley, a cannery and other attractions. A diesel engine provided electricity and the area had a decent phone system. Miles of roads were even built, and the place had its grand opening in 1912.

There were around 600 plots set for homes, many of which were built, and Bayocean was well on its way to become the "Atlantic City of the West." That was the plan, and that was the ad campaign, but it never quite materialized.

The pavillion at Bayocean during its heyday

A yacht carried folks to the spit and back to the mainland, where the trains connected tourists and vacationers to the Portland area. For at least a few years, there were about 50 fulltime residents, including a man who pioneered the use of crab pots on the north Oregon coast. During the summer, thousands flooded the town and took advantage of the fun stuff. There and along the ports of Garibaldi and Tillamook, it was described as &ldquoactivity everywhere.&rdquo

The honeymoon was relatively short. Its heyday lasted only a few years. The first man to buy a lot from Potter&rsquos company and began a feud that was the beginning of the end. Francis Mitchell started Bayocean&rsquos first businesses and the post office, but he also soon began accusing Potter of fraud. This feud lasted for years and split the town&rsquos growing residency. Eventually, Potter&rsquos company failed, and the resort changed hands a few times, closing and reopening periodically throughout the 20&rsquos and 30&rsquos.

The natatorium had a theater inside as well

By the late 20&rsquos and 30&rsquos, erosion began reclaiming the spit, and some buildings started to fall into the sea. Each winter brought some new disaster. The construction of the jetties at the mouth of the bay is considered to be the culprit, as these change the action of the waters and how they affect the shoreline (much in the same way the construction of the jetties at the mouth of the Columbia changed the shorelines of Warrenton and Seaside).

The Great Depression and wartime finally permanently killed off the resort. Meanwhile, more buildings fell into the sea over the years. Eventually, many of these miles of roads, attractions and hotels disappeared. But not before falling into serious disrepair for many years. By the 30&rsquos or 40&rsquos, there are reports of buildings devoid of occupants and empty, broken windows &ldquostaring out like soulless, lifeless eyes.&rdquo

The grand hotel at Bayocean at the resort's height

It went through several phases of being occupied by a few here and there who tried to restart some of the businesses and even an artist colony or two. About 1970, there is one report from a former local who grew up there when the Potter family kickstarted their venture, telling about what he saw in the 60&rsquos. At the time, he was in his 80&rsquos, and rather forlornly, even bitterly, describes seeing a &ldquohippie&rdquo town occupying the area.

The natatorium started crumbling in 1936, completely disappearing by 1939. The Post Office shut down in 1953 after the majority of the residents moved away, with, ironically, Mitchell being the last to leave.

A year later, the spit was breached by a massive storm. That eventually &ldquohealed&rdquo itself, but Bayocean was firmly a ghost town and doomed.

The rest of it was bulldozed over in the 70's by the government.

Cape Meares' community center was once the school and church for Bayocean. It was picked up and moved to its current spot.

Supposedly, at extremely low tides, you can see the remnants of a boiler in the water just off the town of Cape Meares. Some residents of that tiny village will tell you the diagonal shoreline of the village was Third St. at the height of Bayocean's brief romp. There was a 1st St. and Second St. back then. That's how much storms and tidal conditions had destroyed the place in the middle part of the century.

A few buildings were saved and moved to Cape Meares. The community gathering place there is the former school and church from the old resort. There is some talk you may occasionally find part of a structure in the form of a chunk of concrete or metal somewhere in the dunes.

That&rsquos all that is left of a true ghost town. Where to stay for all this - Where to eat - Map and Virtual Tour


History

The Port of Tillamook Bay is located on land that was formerly occupied by the U.S. Naval Air Station — the home of blimp squadron during World War II. During the war, the facility consisted of two massive blimp hangars, administrative and residential quarters and more than 1,600 acres of land. The station was decommissioned in 1948 and has evolved into the core of Tillamook County’s industrial sector in the 60 years since.

Station Development

In 1942, with World War II raging in Europe and the Pacific, the Navy built 17 blimp hangars across the nation as the anchor for a network of blimp squadrons that would patrol the Pacific and act as escorts for coastal convoys. Two of those hangars were located at the newly opened Naval Air Station in Tillamook.
A hard winter dragged out construction of Hanger B for nine months. Following its completion in the spring of 1943, Hangar A was erected in a mind-boggling 27 days. The hangars were of colossal proportions. Hangar B, at 1,072 feet long, 296 feet wide and 192 feet tall (over 21 stories tall, 1/5 mile long and a football field wide), still stands, easily dominating the skyline. The enormous doors measure 120 feet tall and weigh 180 tons each. When they are open, they provide an opening 220 feet wide.
Squadron ZP-33 was stationed in Tillamook. It consisted of eight K-class blimps, the second largest model in the Navy’s lighter-than-air fleet. These massive blimps held a crew of 10 and were sent aloft by 425,000 cubic feet of helium within their 251-foot-long envelope. Though only lightly armed, they often carried depth charges as protection from the threat of submarine attack on merchant convoys. The blimps were swifty by airship standards, cruising at speeds of up to 50 knots on two engines. They had a range of 2,300 miles and could be stocked for flights as long as three days in duration. Though two hangars were constructed, ZP-33’s eight K’s could be squeezed into one with room to spare.

Evolution of Port of Tillamook Bay

In 1911, the Port of Bay Ocean, an Oregon Municipal corporation, was formed by a special election to manage land at the entrance to Tillamook Bay. The Port incorporated additional land in 1948 to construct a jetty to protect the bay.
With the surrender of Japan, Tillamook Naval Air Station was no longer needed. The base, barely six years old, was decommissioned in 1948. With the departure of the Navy, the former base came under the jurisdiction of the new Tillamook County Airport Commission.
In 1953, the Port of Bay Ocean held a special election to incorporate the NAS Tillamook, the blimp hangars, airport and other buildings into its jurisdiction. On Nov. 4, the name of the district became the Port of Tillamook Bay. More than a dozen buildings comprised the base. Most are now occupied by Port tenants. Unfortunately, Hangar A burned to the ground on August 22, 1992.

History of the Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad

Along with the other NAS facilities, the Port also had jurisdiction of the Navy’s 5.5-mile railroad spur, which connected with the Southern Pacific Railroad in downtown Tillamook.
The Southern Pacific line over the Coast range had been built between 1906 and 1911. But as Southern Pacific began to step away from that line in later years, the Port began operating it from Tillamook to Batterson in 1983. When Southern Pacific decided to abandon the operation in 1990, the Port purchased the entire line to Schefflin, with help from the state lottery.
It stretched 95 miles from Tillamook, up the coast to Wheeler, then east through the Coast Range to the Portland area. It hugged the mountainsides along the Salmonberry River and included river crossings and wooden trestles – some 200 feet high.
The Port continued operating the railroad until December of 2007, when flood waters from a major storm destroyed large sections of the roadbed in the mountainous area of the Salmonberry River Canyon. Prior to the storm, the railroad had hauled freight six days a week, carrying lumber and feed grains.


Census records can tell you a lot of little known facts about your Tillamook ancestors, such as occupation. Occupation can tell you about your ancestor's social and economic status.

There are 3,000 census records available for the last name Tillamook. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Tillamook census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 642 immigration records available for the last name Tillamook. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 1,000 military records available for the last name Tillamook. For the veterans among your Tillamook ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

There are 3,000 census records available for the last name Tillamook. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Tillamook census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 642 immigration records available for the last name Tillamook. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 1,000 military records available for the last name Tillamook. For the veterans among your Tillamook ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.


In 2015 we added the International Police Museum in Rockaway Beach to the Step Back in Time venue. After working together for two years we decided to form an alliance. The alliance was called: “Tillamook Coast History Alliance” (TCHA). Through the past couple of years of enjoying working together, we found out that we can all help each other to bring a positive history experience to our patrons.

Once TCHA was formed we embraced other history organizations around Tillamook County.


Tillamook County, Oregon

Tillamook County is a county located in the state of Oregon. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 25,250. The county seat is Tillamook. The county is named for the Tillamook, a Native American tribe who were living in the area in the early 19th century at the time of European American settlement.

Etymology - Origin of Tillamook County Name

The Tillamook were the southernmost branch of the Coast Salish. They were separated from their more northern kinsmen by tribes speaking the Chinookian languages. The name Tillamook is of Chinook origin (a trade pidgin, which had developed along the lower Columbia.) According to Frank Boas, "It [Tillamook] means the people of Nekelim. The latter name means the place of Elim, or in the Cathlamet dialect, the place of Kelim. The initial t of Tillamook is the plural article, the terminal ook the Chinook plural ending - uks." Since there was one village in the area of Nehalem bay the area was referred to as Nekelim (Ne Elim=singular). There were at least four villages on the south Tillamook bay according to Lewis and Clark the south bay was called "T-Elim-ook" (the plural of Elim), meaning many villages of Elim. (The Chinook word for water was "chuck" and the Salish word for wetland is "naslex". The popular translation of Tillamook as meaning "land of many waters" seems to be 20th-century fabrication used in the tourist industry.)

Demographics:

Tillamook County History

Tillamook County, the twelfth county in Oregon to be organized, was established on December 15, 1853, when the Territorial Legislature approved an act to create the new county out of an area previously included in Clatsop, Yamhill and Polk Counties. The county was named after the Tillamook Indians who occupied the areas around the Tillamook and Nehalem Bays.

Tillamook County is located in the northwestern portion of the state and is bordered by Clatsop County on the north, Washington and Yamhill Counties on the east, Polk and Lincoln Counties on the south, and by the Pacific Ocean on the west. Boundary changes were enacted with Clatsop County (1855, 1870, and 1893), Lincoln County (1893), Washington County (1893, 1898), and Yamhill County (1887). The area of Tillamook County is 1,125 square miles. The 2000 population of 24,262 represented an increase of 12.48% since 1990.

During the first ten years following the organization of the county, the county court met at the homes of its members. From 1865 to 1875 court sessions were held in various schoolhouses in the district, the exact place being determined by the incumbent county judge. In 1866 the town of Lincoln was renamed Tillamook in order to stay consistent with the post office's name of Tillamook. An election in 1873 chose Tillamook as the county seat. In 1875 the county rented an office in the general store to house government. In 1889 a courthouse was built but was destroyed by fire in 1903. Only the county clerk's vault and its stored records were saved. A new courthouse was built at the same site in 1905 and replaced again in 1933.

County government offices that were already in place upon statehood were the three county commissioners (including the county judge), a probate judge, sheriff, clerk, treasurer, assessor, school superintendent, and coroner. Subsequent officers and/or boards were established as follows: surveyor (1860) stock inspector (1895) school district boundary board (1899) veterinarian (1910) health officer (1912) fair board (1913) agricultural agent (1915) dairy herd inspector (1917) dog control districts (1919) and an engineer (1925).

The major physical features of Tillamook County consist of the rocky and irregular coastline that forms the county's western boundary, stretches of coastal lowlands, and heavily timbered interior parts, which comprise the main span and several spurs of the Coast Range. Principal industries are agriculture, lumber, fishing, and recreation. Dairy farms dominate the county's fertile valleys providing milk for the well-known Tillamook cheese. Logging and lumbering are becoming a significant economic force due to the reforestation of most of the "Tillamook Burn" area. With seventy-five miles of coastline, four bays, and nine rivers, recreational and tourist facilities are numerous. The Tillamook airbase for blimps was commissioned on December 1, 1942, with the name US Naval Air Station. It was closed after World War II. Tillamook and Yamhill counties also hosted the Mt. Hebo Air Force Station, which played an important part in air defense during the Cold War, from 1956 to 1980.

Geography: Land and Water

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,333 square miles (3,450 km 2 ), of which 1,103 square miles (2,860 km 2 ) is land and 230 square miles (600 km 2 ) (17%) is water. At 3,706 feet (1130 m) in elevation, Rogers Peak is the highest point in the county and the highest in the Northern Oregon Coast Range.


Watch the video: WAR HISTORY ON THE COAST - Tillamook, Oregon (June 2022).


Comments:

  1. Braddock

    I absolutely agree with you. There is something in this and a great idea.

  2. Aethelbert

    It is possible to speak infinitely on this subject.

  3. Stilwell

    I specially registered on the forum to participate in the discussion of this issue.

  4. Cahir

    what is necessary to do in this case?



Write a message